List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Interpreting disk space and changing backup path
From:       qwms-avib () dea ! spamcon ! org
Date:       2004-12-22 20:37:48

Eve Atley wrote:

> I ran the df command on Redhat Linux 9, and came up with
> this...what exactly does it mean?  Which is my main drive?

You appear to have two drives:  a master HD on your
primary IDE cable:

> /dev/hda1       101089     29129     66741  31% /boot
> /dev/hda2     37334192   5058672  30379048  15% /

And a slave HD on your primary IDE cable:

> /dev/hdb1     57669728  38728096  16012184  71% /home

The master HD has two partitions mounted:  a 101mb boot
partition and a 37gb root partition.  The slave HD has
one partition mounted:  a 57gb partition containing the
/home subdirectory.

> I'd like to change the path to instead backup to where
> I may have space...

You have space (30gb) on your root partition (on master HD),
so it would possible to use it for a compressed backup of
/home (from slave HD).  That would put your backup on a
different HD.  This is good.  However, it is not so good
to have your only backup on the same machine.  A fire, power
surge or other catastrophe could destroy both the original
and the backup.  It is better for the backup to be on a
different machine (or, better yet, at a different location).

Cheers,
Steven