List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: process priority
From:       Simon Valiquette <v.simon () ieee ! org>
Date:       2004-10-18 9:07:02

sumit kalra a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> You can use the 'nice' utility (man nice). To change
> the priority of a process programatically, you can use
> the nice() function (man 2 nice).
>
> Regards,
> Sumit

   You can also use renice, to change the process priority of an already
running process.  Unfortunatelly, you can only lower the priority of the
process.  With renice, You need to be root to put higher the priority of
a running process.  Still, it is usefull if you want to lower the
priority of a group of process that take lots of ressources on a system
(ex. lowering the priority of a big "find" request all over your hardisk
while you are doing something else more important).

   As far as I know, both nice and renice are available for every modern
Unix systems.

Simon Valiquette

-