List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: CMI-8330 On Board Sound?
From:       Hal MacArgle <haltec () kvinet ! com>
Date:       2004-07-19 19:52:24

Getting excellent input from Ray and Richard, following, I've been
prodded enough to get the machine playing CD's, after some more
research.. Someone said I should explain a little for the archive in
case anyone is interested.. The problem was: software!!

The underlying problem seemed to be that this moboard fell between
the cracks during a transitional period between Microsoft Sound
System, MSS, now obsolete, and the defacto standard; SoundBlaster,
SB.. The chip mfgrs must have been pulling their hair more than I
during this period.. The bottom line seems to be that an existing
driver, ad1948, configures the chip as 8 bit sound, with just one
dma.. Using a 16 bit sb driver added or alone is accepted but turns
off the CD play sound.. There may be a proper driver out there but I
can't find it and wont worry about it..

If more features are desired a sound card would, probably be the best
answer... I understand the 430TX MB a low end board anyway..

Thanks for all the help - the learning curve continues... And,
Richard, had I read the SoundPro doco first and ignored the CMI8330
one - this would have gone a lot faster...<grin>

-