List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: pam.d query
From:       Nasir Hossain <nhossain () gawab ! com>
Date:       2004-06-28 5:54:13

mike wrote:

>>Nasir Hossain wrote:
>>

>>>hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a couple of query's which (till now) I have failed to
>>>

>>answer/solve.
>>

>>>1) How do I log in directly as root ? Is there some place where I can
>>>give the password for root so I dont have to login every time I
>>>

>>start my
>>

>>>system. I know knoppix does it... but I dunno how. Please tell me
>>>

>>how to
>>

>>>do this using /etc/pam.d
>>>

>>I dont know of a reasonably secure way of doing that, perhaps
>>someone else may be able to help.
>>

>>>2) I am also working on a live cd and I want the kernel messeges
>>>

>>removed
>>

>>>at startup (the ones which dmesg eventually gets). Is it possible ?
>>>

>>I use Mandrake and it comes with a bootsplash package that in your
>>boot loader you can pass a bootspash=silent in which it just shows
>>the image on booting.Take a look at this site. www.bootsplash.org
>>Note: to use bootsplash you need to use framebuffer.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>>>thanks
>>>
>>>nasir
>>>

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
>Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

I took care of the password thing. Since security is really not an issue
here, editing the /etc/passwd (if shadow passwords are not enabled) and
/etc/shadow (if they are), and deleteing the encrypted portion removes
the password for root. Logging in automatically is quite simple after
that , changing in /etc/inittab :-

1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -f -c 1 -w -- /bin/login -f root

that logs. in root in tty1.

As for the silent boot, thanks for the link mike. I'll check it out.

thanks

-