List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: checking bandwidth in coyote
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2004-05-11 19:35:30

At 01:49 AM 5/12/2004 +0700, otok_otok1998 wrote:
>Hello linux-newbier,
>
>i want to know how to checking bandwidth on my coyote linux, i'm using
>adsl connection, coyote on Pentium I as router.. thanx 4all

Please be more descriptive about what exactly you want to check. For *example*:

1. Do you want to test actual throughput between a host on your LAN and
some particular offsite host?

2. Do you want a way to test whether your ADSL line itself actually
delivers the promised bandwidth?

3. Do you want to track your cumulative use of bandwidth every day for a month?

In general, the way to measure throughput is to run ifconfig periodically
and compute the differences in Rx and Tx bytes (or packets, if more
appropriate to your purpose), or access the /proc/net/dev pseudofile
directly for the same information. But to test the capacity of a
connection, you will need to measure throughput during controlled tests.
Fancy tools to measure throughput are, typically, just front ends to one or
the other of these approaches.

I haven't looked closely at coyote in years, and I doubt you'll find many
coyote users here on this list ... so any advice you get will probably
(certainly if from me) be based on standard Linux/Unix utilities, not
anything specific to coyote. I believe that coyote has its own support
list, so you might try that if you do want coyote-specific information.

-