List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: alternate Debian kernels
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2003-12-15 20:38:31

At 01:51 PM 12/15/2003 -0600, James Miller wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
> > At 12:55 PM 12/15/2003 -0600, James Miller wrote:
> > >Maybe one of the Debian users on this list can help me understand
> > >something about the kernels offered on the unstable branch.  Specifically,
> > >I have a question about 2.4.x kernels.  There are two 2.4.x kernels
> > >available there, and I'm trying to understand the difference between them.
> > >One is listed as kernel-image-2.4-(CPUarchitecture), while the other is
> > >listed as kernel-image-2.4.22-1-(CPUarchitecture).  It's clear what the
> > >second one is, but what's the first in relation to it?  Is it the 2.4.0
> > >kernel?
> >
> > Try "apt-cache show" on one of the "kernel-image-2.4-(CPUarchitecture)"
> > packages. You'll see that the description says it is a wrapper package that
> > always points (via a dependency) to the corresponding
> > "kernel-image-2.4.*-*-(CPUarchitecture)" package (currently a
> > "kernel-image-2.4.22-1-(CPUarchitecture)" package).
> >
>Thanks for that tip, Ray, which I tried.  I can see two possible reasons
>for a kernel "wrapper package" (poor as my grasp of what that means is):
>1) something that maybe simplifies booting the system if you update 2.4.x
>kernels frequently (a symlink sort of thing that always points to the
>newest 2.4.x kernel image?); 2) something that could simplify updating
>kernels via apt-get (or 3] both of the above?).  Can you offer any
>further input on whether 1 or 2 is correct, if I'm way off the mark in
>those guesses, or some of your own, more educated guesses?

I always compile my own kernels, so all I can offer about the use of
precompiled kernel images are guesses that do not derive from experience.
With that disclaimer ... if you use, for example. "apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4-386" to install your image, then "apt-get upgrade" will
automatically switch to a new image when one becomes available. OTOH, if
you use, for rexmaple, "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.21-1-386", a later
"apt-get upgrade" will not move you to a  2.4.22 image. You get to pick the
way you want your upgrades to work, a good thing if you, like I, favor user
control of upgrades.

I'm not really sure what your (1) above means. I guess this says I think
your (2) is on target. Your analogy to a symlink isn't bad, or you can
think of it working like a "task" package.

-