List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: newbies question about tv
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2003-10-31 15:30:54

At 08:47 AM 10/31/2003 +0100, c.lina@gmx.net wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am a *real* newbie to linux, so please have mercy ....
>
>I have a tv-card and watching tv with motv works fine. Is there a tool
>with which I can record shows and later watch the recorded shows?
>(I have suse8.0)

Many, but the details depend on which TV-capture card you have (and, a tiny
bit, whether you are in NTSC or PAL country - some recording apps don't
handle the 29.97/fps frame rate of NTSC properly) and what video-out card
you have (and if you are doing video out to a monitor or a TV).

Applications to check out for recording include avirec, vcr, ffmpeg,
mencoder, and a few others that I cannot recall right now  These all work
fine with any TV card that uses the kernel's bttv driver. I use vcr myself.

The main applications for playback are xine and mplayer. There is also
aviplay and, probably, a few others. Their main need is an X driver that
supports XVideo (or a really fast CPU, so that xshm can work without
dropping frames) ... this is different (I think) from motv's screen display
(I know xawtv is different, and I think motv is too), so don't assume you
have this part working just because real-time TV watching works for you.

The most developed record-and-playback application I know of is MythTV.
There is also FreeVo, which I've heard of but never looked at. MythTV works
with both bttv-based cards and cards with hardware encoding that use the
ivtv kernel driver.

If your distro doesn't include some of these apps (I use Debian, not SuSE,
so don't know offhand what SuSE includes), you can track down the home
sites of these projects through Google.

-