List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: USB Hotplug??
From:       beolach () juno ! com
Date:       2003-10-11 3:38:03

Hey, Hal

Now that you've mastered USB Hotpluging, are you ready to start
hotswapping your CPU?

Just saw this on Slashdot /.

Links inside <>
<http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/10/1336255&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185>

<http://search.gmane.org/search.php?query=thoughts&email=&group=gmane.linux.kernel&sort=date>

I thought you might enjoy it. ;)
Conway S. Smith

-- Hal MacArgle <haltec@kvinet.com> wrote:
Greetings: I thought that "hotplug" merely meant a device could be
plugged in/out without shutting off the power to the computer..
Apparently there's more to it than that as I see a man and directory
dedicated to "hotplug."

I'm a bit lost at this point especially since I've plugged in a flash
drive, with the power off; noted the kernel finds it; changed the
default filesystem to ext2; and use it as a regular drive mounted as
/dev/sda1... So it's obvious that Slackware9.0/2.4.20 has configured
things to work right out of the box..

Seeing the hotplug directory and files I thought I might find an
answer to my basic query: Can the device actually be plugged in and
unplugged with the power on?? I read somewhere that firewire is
hotpluggable but "don't do it," in many cases.. No details.. I still
can't find the theory behind hot plugging.. As an EE you don't
connect anything to a live bus with impunity; unless the bus is
"dead" until it senses a load.. Maybe I can learn something here.
<grin>

Any comments? TIA & enjoying the list..

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0   (2.4.20)
                Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
.
-