List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Sendmail won't receive remote messages
From:       "Robert" <robert_schmidli () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-08-26 23:24:22

> OK, Robert, here's the deal.
>
> 1. A message sent directly to robert@[yourdomain].com.au ... I'm keeping
> the real name of [yourdomain] confidential at your request ... appears
from
> this end to go out. It's not in the mailq on my MTA server.
>
> 2. If I telnet to the MTA actually running at [yourdomain].com.au, I
appear
> to be able to send a message from here to robert@[yourdomain].com.au .
>
> You might let me know which, if either, of those messages actually
arrives.

> But ...
>
> 3. If I run the command "host -t MX  [yourdomain].com.au", I get 3
results,
> none of which is the server [yourdomain].com.au ... all 3 are
> [something].iinet.net.au ... your ISP, I assume. This means that ordinary
> off-site e-mail will be sent to one of those servers, not yours. Only God
> and your ISP know what happens to it after that. This is probably your
problem.

> At 07:38 AM 8/27/2003 +1000, Robert wrote:
>
> >"Ray Olszewski" <ray@comarre.com> wrote in message
> >so

The telnet message arrived but the "ordinary" one didn't.  I've finally
managed to contact my ISP about this.  It looks as if my static IP address
has been corrupted, as you have correctly pointed out. With any luck it will
be fixed in the next few hours.

I'm just posting this so that readers can see the end of the story!

Robert.

-