List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Multi-kernel in grub
From:       pa3gcu <pa3gcu () zeelandnet ! nl>
Date:       2003-07-24 12:32:46

On Thursday 24 July 2003 05:20, Travis Osterman wrote:
> I thank everyone again for their patience with me.  I have tried to
> methodically note everything I have done during the kernel compilation
> below.  Everything seems fine until the make install step.

The copy the image to /boot by hand and update your bootloader config file
accordingly and if lilo is used rerun lilo. I belive you mentioned grub tho'.

> make modules // no errors
> make modules_install // no errors
> make install // errors, see below
>
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
> No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.20-first-try
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
>   Will these errors cause problems if I bypass the 'make install' and
> copy files to my /boot dir?  Thanks again for the help.

If you dont need the aic7xxx scsi driver no.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-