List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    [OT] Development workflow
From:       Chris Rose <offline () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2003-06-30 7:20:00

Can any of the linux users on here who still develop on the console
(preferably w/ vi, since i'm not really an emacs fan {/me ducks}) weigh
in with tips on how their workflow actually runs?  How do you organize
things, what programs do you need, etc...  Note that i'm thinking
specifically of c++ here, and i'll probably be using the gcc compiler
toolkit.  At this stage of my development, while i can read individual
snippets of c++ code and understand them, i'm still not very good at
figuring out how they fit into the larger context of a program.  (this
last bit of self-description is by way of showing how little i know so
you'll use small words and write slowly ;)

I'm totally unfamiliar w/ development like that, having only ever worked
in IDEs, and it happens that i'm gonna have to learn how to do it next
year, so i want to get a jump on it.  Incl. debugging.

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris
http://offline.pointclark.net/