List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: [linux-newbie] X servers for windows
From:       Chris Rose <offline () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2003-06-23 20:44:53

 > I don't have the Windows expertise to suggest a good X-server for it
 > (especially not a good *and* free one, since I assume the poverty you
 > mention would make a sizeable license fee a problem ... or am I assuming
 > too much poverty here, since x-win32 5.3 seems to have a $US225
 > single-node license?). But have you considered VNC as a way to operate
 > your Linux box remotely from a Windows workstation?

 > BTW, I routinely access my Linux hosts (traditional servers and a
 > development workstation) from a Windows console, just using ssh
 > sessions. That approach covers most of what I need to do on them. I've
 > used VNC and been happy with it ... what stops me from working
 > completely remotely is that there is no way to run XVideo remotely.

 > BTW, a naive Google search ("WIndows X-server free") does turn up a few
 > matches, but no true freeware that I saw (just shareware and evaluation
 > copies of commercial servers, with $US90 the lowest license fee I found,
 > more than the cost here of a new 17" monitor). It did report a few
 > references in e-mail messages to free X servers from Cygnus and one
 > other company, but they were very old messages (1998-2000) and I believe
 > the products they referenced vanished from general distribution years
ago.

--
Chris R.
=======

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I don't have the Windows expertise to suggest a good X-server for it
> (especially not a good *and* free one, since I assume the poverty you
> mention would make a sizeable license fee a problem ... or am I assuming
> too much poverty here, since x-win32 5.3 seems to have a $US225
> single-node license?). But have you considered VNC as a way to operate
> your Linux box remotely from a Windows workstation?

Actually, the academic license is nice for x-win, although it was steep
(thank heck for student loans!)

> BTW, I routinely access my Linux hosts (traditional servers and a
> development workstation) from a Windows console, just using ssh
> sessions. That approach covers most of what I need to do on them. I've
> used VNC and been happy with it ... what stops me from working
> completely remotely is that there is no way to run XVideo remotely.

Yeah, i do that for most things as well, and it's been a great spur to
learning more of the shell stuff that as a longtime windows user, i tend
to shy away from.  This mailing list has been another huge help in that
area, especially since you personally seem to have an answer for just
about everyone :)

> BTW, a naive Google search ("WIndows X-server free") does turn up a few
> matches, but no true freeware that I saw (just shareware and evaluation
> copies of commercial servers, with $US90 the lowest license fee I found,
> more than the cost here of a new 17" monitor). It did report a few
> references in e-mail messages to free X servers from Cygnus and one
> other company, but they were very old messages (1998-2000) and I believe
> the products they referenced vanished from general distribution years ago.

Yeah, i've done that, and i found more or less the same thing.
Specifically, though, i was looking for that one feature - the RENDER
extension, which the version of X-Win32 i have doesn't support, and
since i'm looking at remote access in the school year to come that
bandwidth-saver is a big deal to me.

I'm hoping that some solution exists that won't totally break my bank,
and of course i'd prefer free, but if need be i can kick out for another
prog.  The thing is, i had seen that "RENDER extension not supported" so
many times and not realized what it was, until recently - and now that i
know, the fact that the tool exists and doesn't work for me is going to
drive me slowly batty :)

--
Chris R.
=======