List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    MC Not Opening HTML Files
From:       Peter <pfheiss () philonline ! com>
Date:       2003-05-27 9:03:21

Hi,

In RH7.3 for quite some time suddenly mc, my main file manager, would not open
html files any longer within xterm, however, still from the console. Now I
discovered that if I change in ~/.mc/bindings the line  "Open=if [ x$DISPLAY =
x ];" to "Open=if [ x$DISPLAY = x:0.0 ];" all works well again.

I have never looked at this file since RH5.2 and mc always opened html files.
What could have caused such a change that now apparently DISPLAY has a
different setting? It could be that this change coincided with an upgrade of
7.3 I had made, which incidentally had a faulty entry in /etc/sysconfig/syslog
causing logrotate to abort, yet I am not so sure about it.

Have others had similar experiences?

Regards

--
Peter