List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: How to hide few disk file systems ??
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2003-01-27 17:27:50

Short of physically disconnecting the hard drive from the system, there is
no absolutely sure way to "hide" your old partitions from the new kernel.
Various degrees of safety would be achieved by

         1. Not mounting the "important data" partitions, a degree of
safety you can achieve by editing /etc/fstab

         2. Removing the /dev/hda* devices for the filesystems.

But the drive itself must always remain accessible, so at some level, the
data always remain at risk.

So I guess the real question is ... how important are these "important
data"? If they are worth $100, the solution is to buy a new hard disk and
use it for your experiments. If they are not that important, then you may
find either of my risk-reducing suggestions sufficient.