List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    re: getting serial ports on STB4COM UP
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2003-01-19 16:06:29

At 06:04 AM 1/19/03 -0800, Alan Womack wrote:
>[...]
>It appears one of those two modifications has port 2 working correctly
>now.  Port 3 and Port 4 still share IRQ 15, and although the pausing is
>noticebly shorter for port 3, it is still quite slow.  Therefore I have to
>conclude there is an issue with sharing 15 for some reason.  Next time I
>take my server down, I will move port 3 to share IRQ 3 and see what happens.

D'oh! I should have asked this before: How many IDE devices do you have in
the system? The secondary IDE channel normally uses IRQ 15. Trying to have
serial ports share an IRQ with an IDE controller could eaily lead to long
delays (or even complete failure - I've never tried this). If you are not
actually using the secondary IDE channel, turn it off in the BIOS. If you
are using it, move the serial ports to some otherwise unused IRQ (look in
the 9-12 range for possibilities, though what's free depends on the
specifis of your system).