List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: missing man and smbsh
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2002-12-21 16:34:15

At 11:14 AM 12/21/02 -0500, Jonathan Kallay wrote:
>Sorry about being short on the details- my machine is at work and I'm
>starting a two week vacation (the perks of being a teacher).

As a practical matter, you may then want to defer pursuing this until you
once more have access to the machine with the problems. We'll still be
here, I'm sure.

>The way I now understand it, dselect installs precompiled binaries rather
>than compiling the source.

Right. So does apt, unless you choose the "apt-get source" option (and have
source-package directories listed in /etc/apt/sources.list).

>Since the configuration options for Samba are
>set before compilation, I'll either have to work with the apt-get or dpkg
>source building features or just download the source and build it the usual
>way without the packaging.

I'm not sure what you mean by "configuration options" above. Like most
complex apps, Samba has config files that can be edited independent of
compilation. Although I can't know your situation well enough to be
certain, I'd be surprised if you needed to compile the various Samba pieces
yourself (other than kernel components ... the usersspace stuff should be
fine precompiled).

>As for the smbfs module, when I installed the smbfs package in dselect I
>expected the smbfs module to be placed somewhere.  Shouldn't I be able to
>insert the module without recompiling or reinstalling the kernel?

You should read the package description. "apt-cache search smbfs" returns
this short description: "smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs
(for kernels >= than 2.2.x)". From that, I'd say it does not include the
smbfs module. (I don't know beyond that -- I run an SMB server on a Linux
host, but not the client, so I don't need smbfs.)

Really, how can it? Debian Woody provides a wide range of kernel choices,
including 2.2.x kernels, 2.4.x kernels, and maybe even (I didn't check)
2.5.x kernels. Modules tend to be kernel-version specific. I'd suggest that
when you are back at your machine, you do what I already suggested: find
out what kernel you are using. If it is the default 2.2.20-compact, replace
it with a current one (2.4.20 seems to be the latest kernel-image listed,
but that was checking Sid, not Woody), doing your own compile if the
precompiled one doesn't have what you need.

>The missing man:  when I enter the command "man foo" I get a message like
>"bash:  man not found"- as if it simply does not recognize the command.  If
>I type "whereis man" it'll return something like "man: /usr/share/man
>/usr/share/doc/man/man.8.gz" or something of the sort.

If you want to find the "man" *binary* with this command, you do it with
"whereis man -b". Or "which man", which will find the "man" app ONLY if it
is in the user's current PATH. In any case, the binary "man" should be in
/usr/bin/man -- until you check if it is there or not, there's no way to
help you. (The "something like" you report above are the miscellaneus
information directory for man and man's own man page.)  Either the command
was somehow deleted or made non-exdcutable (improbable) or the userid you
are using does not include /usr/bin in its PATH (also pretty improbable).
Or you're remembering, hence quoting, the response incorrectly and
something else is going on.

[old stuff deleted]