List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: lilo questions.......
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2002-11-25 23:50:36

Replies below, in an edited version of your message.

At 06:29 PM 11/25/02 -0500, neil t wrote:
[...]
> >2. Make a separate filesystem (probably on /dev/hda) that all distros mount
> >as /boot, and put all the kernels in it. Their names need to be dsitinct,
> >of course ... if I did this, I'd use names like vmlinuz-2.4.19-deb and
> >vmlinuz-2.4.19-mandrake. Then use the appropriate names on the various
> >image= lines.
> >
> >3. Retain separate /boot diretories for each distro, and edit the lilo.conf
> >you install from appropriately. For example, if you were installing lilo
> >from Debian, your various entries might look like this --
> >
> >         image=/mnt/mandrake/boot/vmlinuz
> >                 label=*mandrake*
> >                 root=/dev/hda3
> >                 read-only
> >         image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >                 label=Debian
> >                 root=/dev/hdb2
> >                 read-only
>#2 and #3 look interesting.  If you were doing this, which would you use?

I'm not sure. Back when I actually did it, the 1024-cylinder limit still
mattered to lilo, so I was pretty much forced to use option #2. Probably
I'd do it that way again, if the need arose ... but I find no benefit (to
me; I'm not commenting obliquely on your situation) in running multi-boot
systems.

>  Are the Kernel numbers what you show in example 2 following vmlinuz?

Yes.
[...]