List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: problems with dual boot
From:       cr <cr () orcon ! net ! nz>
Date:       2002-10-26 2:59:08

On Friday 25 October 2002 14:45, lawson_whitney@juno.com wrote:

(snip)

> > Doing fdisk /dev/hda
> > gives me the error "Unable to load /dev/hda"
>
> if this                         ^^^^ is a typo for open,
> maybe you were not root and had not permission?
>
> Why do you need fdisk?  Do you not know where is /boot?

My system went down recently - I *think* because one of the three(!) hard
drives was failing.    And I definitely needed to read the drives to see what
partitions I had on each one....

So I intalled a new system on a spare drive, then added each old drive in
turn and checked it with  fdisk, Antivir (just in case) and fsck.   I had to
mount it to use Antivir, using the partition names I got from reading fdisk.
All as su to root, of course.

cr
-