List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Gui - Gnome - Kde
From:       cr <cr () orcon ! net ! nz>
Date:       2002-10-25 12:45:59

KDE is a bit too 'Windows-like' for my tastes.   Which is why I run Gnome,
but with Kmail as my email client (haven't tried the latest Balsa, but last
time I went looking Kmail was way ahead of any other that I could find).
And Kppp.   And for a browser I use Opera, or sometimes Netscape, Mozilla,
Galeon or Konqueror, depending how I feel at the time.

And they all work pretty well together, even the clipboard works most of the
time.

I reckon that's a big credit to the application writers.

I do that when I log in as me.    When I log in as Root, I use KDE.   Why?
Because I can   ;)     If you happen to have loaded the necessary files at
install time, and if you have the Desktop switching tool installed, it's dead
easy to change between KDE and Gnome  (though you might want to set up
another 'user' and try it under his login, in case something screws up).

I'm running RH7.2,  if (as has been stated) RH8 doesn't have a wide choice of
window managers, then I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

cr

-