List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Exim borked
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2002-08-31 14:27:08

Is this a standard Debian install? So that exim was installed suring the
base setup (or updraded via apt)? Or did you do something special by hand
(or even with dpkg)?

First, your question #2. A stock Debian Sid (you appear to be running
Woody, but it is surely the same) install sets up exim as follows:

         -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       471048 Mar  4 15:05 /usr/sbin/exim

The error you posted sounds like you do not have the suid bit set (the "s"
in the leftmost "rws"). To fix this by hand. as root, execute this command:

         chmod +s /usr/sbin/exim

Then restart the exim daemon (unless you are running it through inetd, in
which case you can skip this step).