List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: sudo, SUID and SGID
From:       lawson_whitney () juno ! com
Date:       2002-08-25 7:54:03

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Jim Reimer wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm clear as to when I should use sudo, and
> when I should use SUID and/or SGID.  It looks like I should
> use sudo when I want only a limited number of users to
> have access to a (normally root) program, and SUID/SGID
> when I want to let everybody have it.  Is that all there
> is to it?

You can use say group execute (g+x o-x) to control who may run a
setuid/setgid program, but basically, yes.

> If I want a script to run as root, I *must* use sudo?

The linux exec[vle] call will not run a script for a nonroot user as
root.  suidperl is a way around this if you write perl scripts.

> Another thing is that if SUID/SGID is appropriate, which
> is used?  Is it ever necessary to use both at the same time?

Maybe.  suid exec's as the owner of the executable file, whicn is
usually but not necessarily root.

> Thanks for enlightening me.
> -jdr-

Lawson