List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: mounting cdrom
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2002-07-24 14:59:13

At 04:30 PM 6/24/02 -0700, Hendrik Fourie wrote:
> > At 02:44 PM 6/24/02 -0700, Hendrik Fourie wrote:
> > >i am using redhat 7.2 and kde and when i try to mount the cdrom within
>kde
> > >it gives the error message that "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device".
> >
> > What is the output of "ls -l /dev/cdrom"? Is the symlink set up correctly?
>
>i havent run "ls -l /dev/cdrom", but by the symlink i assume you mean the
>entries in the fstab file which allows me to mount the cdrom  by using
>"mount /dev/cdrom" only  as opposed to having to enter the entire "mount  -t
>iso9660 /dev/hda  /mnt/cdrom" command?,  i only have a vague idea what
>symlinks are and how to set them up :),
>anyway, the entries in the fstab file is correct.

Nope, bad assumption; that is not what I mean. Please do as I ask and I'll
explain after I see the result. Or read "man ls" to learn what symlinks are.

> > >using kde terminal window i tried  running "su" and entering the root
> > >password, then i run the command "mount  -t iso9660 /dev/hda  /mnt/cdrom
>and
> > >it gives me the exact same error message.
> >
> > Surely not the *exact* same error message (since this command does not
>make
> > use of /dev/cdrom).
>

>no, instead of "/dev/cdrom" it shows "/dev/hda"  is not a valid block
>device.

Did you recheck this just now, or are you correcting your prior posting
from memory? If the first, then why didn't you run the other command I
asked you to do above (since doing so would take about 10 seconds, less
time than I am spending writing this sentence)? If the second, please
recheck your work (that is, do what I request below) ... you will
understand, I hope, that I am hesitant to rely on your demonstrably faulty
memory.

Or did you have the actual text saved somewhere to check? If so, then
please post it here.

> > Please post the exact command you enter and the exact response from the
>system.

[...]

>i am using the grub bootloader which is written to the mbr of the first
>hdd.( i think)
>hda and hdb really are the cdrom drives, and i can mount the fat32 partition
>and acces it in linux by using "mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /dev/mnt/windows"
>and it shows the content of my windows hdd. i don't know if and how the
>/dev/hd* entries were modified, since i installed rh7.2 with the default
>options an i certainly never changed it myself.

This description is puzzling. Unless RH changed to using grub as its
default bootloader and I missed that news ... possible, I suppose, but
surely not way back in 7.2 ...the system you describe is not using *all*
the default options. In any case, this is unlikely to be the source or your
problem.