List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Multiple CD Changer
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2002-07-22 0:58:26

At 07:35 PM 7/21/02 +0200, Oliver Ob wrote:
>Hello,
>
>how can I mount a 6-CD-Changer into my tree?
>
>It is /dev/hdb
>
>But how can I distinguish those 6 slots?
>Mount them each?
>
>Best regards!

Oliver -- Since you've posted this same question three times now, and
received no responses (at least none copied to the list), it is reasonable
to assume that no one here can answer your question in the form you pose
it. Perhaps if you provided a bit more of a description of the hardware
involved, though, someone might have an idea. The kind of information I
have in mind is:

1. Make and model of the actual device. Perhaps even a URL for its
manufacturer.

2. You call it a "changer" and refer to "slots", but that doesn't give me a
feel for the actual mechanics of the device. Is it actually a device with
one CD drive in it, and a built-in mechanism for holding 6 different disks
and loading any of them on demand? (For example, does it physically
resemble the music CD changers I am, and no doubt most everyone is,
acquainted with?) If not, what is the actual mechanism?

3. I expect that this device, like most PC hardware, comes with software
that causes it to work under at least some versions of Windows. If this is
correct, then how do the disks get changed under Windows?

I did do a quick Google search and found several (fairly old) references
tro kernel patches that supported *specific* IDE-based CD changers. At
least one of them referred to a program that would mount each CD as a
separate mount point. From what I read, I surmise that the solution to your
problem ... if one exists ... does depends on the particular CD changer you
have. But doing a Google search on the specific brand name plus "Linux"
might serve you better than we can.