List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: fopen error number??
From:       Hal MacArgle <haltec () iceweb ! net>
Date:       2002-06-23 12:57:40

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:13:22AM +0300, Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:19:10PM -0400, Hal MacArgle wrote:
> > Greetings: Just installed Slack8.0 (2.2.19) on a fresh HD, restoring
> > backed up user files only from original working HD, that was Slack7.1
> > (2.2.16).  Simple setup using A AP and N groups only..
> >
> > Everything working fine except one that baffles me:
> >
> > Using Mutt and Metamail, default distribution packages, I can't save
> > a jpeg attachment to a file, in order to view it.. The report is:
> > "fopen: Permission denied (errno=13"
> >
> > I checked and compared the file permissions on all the files I could
> > think of, plus checked for the libraries, and see no difference
> > between this machine and another similar machine that saves the files
> > correctly... I have some books on C but I can't find what errno 13
> > is.
>
> [anteater@neutrino anteater]$ grep 13 /usr/include/asm/errno.h
> #define EACCES          13      /* Permission denied */
> #define EHOSTUNREACH    113     /* No route to host */
>
> Check for *directory* permissions, too.
>
> Elias

	Greetings and Appreciate!!.. Problem solved and I learned a
lot more in the process..

	I double checked all the directory permissions but neglected
to check the ownership of the mail file.. Wonder why it worked with
regular mail but metamail balked? A little knowledge is a dangerous
thing??? Somehow that got by me - so we're now in business as usual..
Thanks for the prodding.

	Cheers,

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 8.0   (2.4.13)
    haltec@iceweb.net | w8mch@iceweb.net.. A M$ free environment
.
-