List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    The relation between Jakarta/Tomcat and Apache web server?
From:       Ola Theander <ola.theander () connective ! se>
Date:       2002-05-27 15:48:46

Dear subscribers.

I have a question about one issue where I feel a bit disoriented about and
that is the relation between Jakarta/Tomcat and the Apache web server? How
is Jakarta/Tomcat related to Apache. I know that they are both developed
under the apache.org foundation, but I'm referring to a more technical
relation.

Does Jakarta/Tomcat require the Apache web server to be installed to work
properly? If that's the case, how does Tomcat work which Apache 2.0.x?

If they are unrelated, can they co-exist on the same server both serving
port 80? If not, to what extent does the Tomcat support features like
Virtual Server i.e. serving more than one domain on the same ip-address and
port?

Can Apache process jsp-pages without Tomcat?

What I would like to be able to do is to publish both html- and jsp pages
from the same server, for multiple domains i.e. using Apache's virtual
servers e.g. domain1.com, domain2.com etc.

Many questions but hopefully some of them will be answered by some of all
you knowledgeable subscribers out there.

Kind regards, Ola Theander
-