List:       linux-netdev
Subject:    New toy: tc simulator
From:       Werner Almesberger <Werner.Almesberger () epfl ! ch>
Date:       2001-01-28 15:06:05

I've written a little package that allows experimenting with Linux traffic
control entirely in user space. This is useful for configuration testing,
traffic control element development, debugging, and simulations. Right
now, the simulator is very basic, but it'll be easy to add new capabilities.

It works as follows: the kernel traffic control code is compiled in user
space and linked against iproute2/tc and some glue code. This way, the
original tc code can be used for configuration. The glue code provides the
netlink communication from tc to the "kernel" code. Afterwards, a simple
event-driven simulation can be run on that configuration. Note that the
classifiers "fw" and "route" don't work, because neither firewalling nor
routing are included in the simulator. Also, the ATM qdisc isn't supported.

The current version is in:

ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/linux/tcng/tcsim-0d.tar.gz

It requires a 2.4.0 kernel source tree and iproute2 991023 or 001007
(probably works also with all the iproute2 versions in between, I just
haven't tried them).

Also, I haven't done much testing yet, so there are probably several nasty
bugs in addition to the long list of known bugs. I won't announce each
little update, so please check for new versions every once in a while if
you're using tcsim.

- Werner