List:       linux-netdev
Subject:    Re: [patch 2/8] forcedeth: fix MAC address detection on network card (regression in 2.6.23)
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-11-21 23:50:31

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:34:52 -0800
>
> "Ayaz Abdulla" <AAbdulla@nvidia.com> wrote:
> > The solution is to get the OEM to update their BIOS (instead of
> > integrating this patch) since the MCP61 specs indicate that the MAC
> > Address should be in correct order from BIOS.
> >
> > By changing the feature DEV_HAS_CORRECT_MACADDR to all MCP61 boards, it
> > could cause it to break on other OEM systems who have implemented it
> > correctly.
>
> Getting an OEM to fix their BIOS isn't always a simple thing...
>
> Perhaps Michael's change should be enabled by a module parameter for
> those who happen to have the busted BIOS?

I have contacted the motherboard vendor about this a couple of weeks ago per
Ayaz's request and have received no response.  I've also upgraded to the
latest firmware for this motherboard and the bug remains.

I think it would be ideal if there were a way to detect broken MCP61's (i.e.
those with a Gigabyte MAC ID instead of the nVidia one) and only reverse the
MAC address then.  A module parameter would also work but then I'd need to
remember to apply it. :)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne

-