List:       linux-netdev
Subject:    Re: ?completeness of IPsec feature-set
From:       bert hubert <ahu () ds9a ! nl>
Date:       2003-03-28 10:19:57

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:32:48AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:

> It seems SSH and ipunplugged offer RF terms (to the extent of implementing
> the IETF standards track implementation, which it isn't at the moment)
> while Microsoft and Cisco don't.
>
> I'm particularly interested if this is considered to be a problem.

The suggestion from Linus is to continue coding and leave this to people who
can actually read and understand legalese. We are not qualified to determine
what is allowed and what is not.

There is some precedent, IBM holds a blanket patent on 'compression' but has
promised not to enforce it, I think. There is libz in the kernel.

But leave it to the people who care and code onwards is what Linus says and
I would tend to agree.

Regards,

bert

http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting