List:       linux-net
Subject:    [telnetd]: "Permission denied" with /bin/login
From:       Sangohn Christian <christian.sangohn () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2001-03-13 21:20:42

Hello all!

With no arguments, telnet works fine and I get a login on my machine. But
when I give the telnetd the paramter "-L /bin/login" (in /etc/inetd.conf) for
it to use the standard login program, I only get "login: permission denied".
I know /bin/login is pamified on Debian; but even commenting out everything
in the pam service file for login (/etc/pam.d/login) didnīt change anything.
What should I do? Why is login denying access? Please help me.

TIA

P.S. This happens for root and non-root users.
It looks like the in.telnetd uses /usr/lib/telnetd/login as the default login
program because when passing explicitely as the login program to the daemon
(with "-L /usr/lib/telnetd/login") Iīm granted telnet access.

-