List:       linux-net
Subject:    RE: Mail Client using IMAP and not POP3
From:       Berend De Schouwer <bds () jhb ! ucs ! co ! za>
Date:       2001-02-16 9:06:24

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:19:04 Matthieu Giorgini wrote:

| Thanks to All,
|
| I've just installed BALSA.
| That looks fine except that I can't receive mail using IMAP, but only
| POP3. Neverthless, I can send mails using IMAP.
|
| So do you know a client, able to send AND receive mails using IMAP ?

I'm confused.  I /send/ mail using SMTP, never POP or IMAP.
I receive mails using POP or IMAP.
I read IMAP, POP, or local mailboxes.

This is independent of the client.  This is according to the
protocols.

However, Balsa can certainly read IMAP mailboxes.  What happens
if you right-click in the mailbox list, and select
New->Remote IMAP mailbox (prior to version 1.1.1), OR
New->Remote IMAP folder?

Certainly that gets you access to an IMAP server to read mail?
If that doesn't work, try the menu File->New->IMAP mailbox.

If you plan to download all your IMAP mail, you can use fetchmail,
which will get just about any IMAP, POP or other remote mailbox,
and store it locally.  Then you can read the mail with any
mailclient that supports local mailboxes.  If this is what
you want, just use POP, since you lose the advantages IMAP has.

If you actually plan to read the IMAP mail on-line, and keep
your mail on the IMAP server your mail client needs IMAP support.
This is excellent in my situation, since I roam, and the
mailserver gets a daily backup.

Balsa does the latter, not the former.

| Matthieu

| |
| | 	Hello Berend & Matthieu ,  Please don't forget venerable 'Pine'
| .
|
| I didn't (nor did I forget Mutt).  Matthieu wanted
| 'an interface such Kmail.'  Okay, only Balsa and TkRat are "close"
| to KMail.  Postilion looks different, and the others carry
| too much bloat to compare directly, even if they look similar.
|
| | 		Hth ,  JimL
| |
| | most
| | > Balsa (Gnome) www.balsa.net
| | > Postilion (Tcl/Tk) www.postilion.org
| | > TkRat (Tcl/Tk) www.dtek.chalmers.se/~maf/ratatosk/
| | > Evolution (Gnome) www.ximian.com (no stable release yet)
| | > Netscape (Motif) www.netscape.com
| | > Mozilla (xpl?) www.mozilla.org
| | > StarOffice (???) www.openoffice.org
| |        +----------------------------------------------------------------+
| |        | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS
| |
| |        | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux
| |
| |        | babydr@baby-dragons.com | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP
| |
| |