List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: ipx broadcast
From:       "Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI" <VANDROVE () vc ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       1999-08-31 11:16:49

On 31 Aug 99 at 12:01, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:
> But nwsfind is doing this. It binds to nothing but port and sends IPX brodcast
> to 0x0 net. Kernel sends this packet to internal net only, since it is primary
> interface. If I have no local netware server, I would never got an answer for
Yes, because of there should be at least one router at your primary network.
If you have internal network and you are not running router, it is just
wrong configuration, because of no-one advertises your internal network
to rest of the world (so how can frames find way back if they are originated
with INT_NW:0000001 and no-one advertises INT_NW?)... Otherwise there must
be at least one router on any of your interfaces which replies to that query.
Problem can occur only if your box is doing routing itself. But in that case
you should be running ipxripd/ipxd or something like that, and it should
reply to your query (and all implementations I know reply...).
> this packet. I agree, that there is no sence in sending this packets to
> internal net only. And one more question - you told we want to change source
> address to outgoing interface address (is this is doing in that 'special
> mars_nwe handling' ?), but what interface should be chosen for that ? And once
> more about this 'special mars_nwe handling' - we are changing the source
> address for packets, that have source port set to RIP or SAP. Is it good idea ?
> I mean, may be the packets with destination RIP or SAP should be rewritten as
> well ?
Probably _only_ frames with destination socket... If it checks source port,
then it is bug.
> >Yes. And send these frames with SO_DONTROUTE (after some changes in ipx code)
> >to be on safe side...
> Can't get the idea :( If I bind all of interfaces in the user code, and send
> broadcasts for this networks only, how can ipx kernel route this packets to
> another networks ?
Kernel must not route that RIP/SAP packet to other networks. You must
send 24 (possible different) queries to all of 24 your interfaces if you
want to get complete picture (but if you are not doing routing, all interfaces
should be equal (maybe with different costs, but equal)). Or you can run
ipxripd and send one query to internal network only. ipxripd does rest of
work for you (with caching, automatic update of routing tables and so on...).
  After I finish my ipx changes to some stable point (implementing
SIOCGIFCONF), I can modify nwsfind (as it is my baby now) to try all
interfaces... But I think that everyone should run routing daemon instead,
it works much better than one-time path find done by ncpfs now.
                                        Best regards,
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@vc.cvut.cz
-