List:       linux-net
Subject:    IP routing with Satellite ISP links (was: (none))
From:       Sam Vilain <sam () hydro ! gen ! nz>
Date:       1999-08-30 9:57:38

Vilius Benetis <beneti@walter.ttl.ktu.lt> writes:

>    There are 2 NIC's (A and B) on the linux server. TCP/IP traffic is
>    going out through A card and is supposed to be back through B (routing
>    is made in such way, for more clear view - B card is connected to
>    one-way-down satelite link, A is just normal net and the server is
>    cache server).
> Question:
>    How Linux will react to this configuration by default and how to make
>    it understand such configuration? (any patches-to-kernel/software?
>    Maybe you know where to find information of this kind?)
>    Problem as I see is that if kernel sends out TCP traffic through A with
>    source IP xx.xx.xx.xx, then does B card with IP address yy.yy.yy.yy
>    accept traffic for xx.xx.xx.xx and does accept kernel also?
>      And how to force LINUX to work in this way?

Something like:

  Cheesecake B 10.0.0.1 <----- 10.255.255.254 B Mouth
           A 192.168.0.1 <----> 192.168.0.254 A

192.168.0.1 is Cheesecake's official address.  192.168.0.254 is
Mouth's official address.  Cheesecake turns on IP forwarding (perhaps
with rules to only forward the appropriate packets).  Mouth does
"route add -host 192.168.0.1 gw 10.0.0.1" (or similar).

Incoming packets to physical interface cheesecake_b have a destination
address of cheesecake_a, and so cheesecake forwards them to the
correct interface and accepts them.

This should work, but obviously error correction on the simplex link
will have to be at the network level or higher.  I must admit I
haven't tried this when one of the links is simplex.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz

-