List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: Loopback suddenly inactive?
From:       Chuck Gadd <cgadd () cfxc ! com>
Date:       1999-01-30 1:23:55

Warren Mira wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Chuck Gadd wrote:
>
> > Someone else made a few "minor" changes to a linux box, and now when it boots, the
> > Loopback interface doesn't start.   Attempts to ping any of the linux boxes IP addresses
> > from the linux box fail.
> >
> > If I do an ifconfig, it only shows eth0 and eth1.  If I do
> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > and
> > route add -net 127.0.0.0
> >

> Its in your boot-up scripts....Some distribution always do this thing for
> you...But some dont...I think..:)..if not ..you can always add them......

Forgot to mention this was a RedHat 5.1 install.

Well, it turned out that "SOMETHING" (I'm guessing it was a clueless I.S. guy) deleted the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo file!  I just created a new one, with all the
right numbers in it for the loopback, and all was well.

--
Chuck Gadd
Director of Software Development, Cyber FX Communications