List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: Stupid problem..
From:       Paul Dwerryhouse <paul () xenu ! ee ! mu ! oz ! au>
Date:       1998-12-22 4:49:02

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 08:12:04PM -0700, Chuck Gadd wrote:
> I did a dumb thing, and now my linux box has no /bin/login
> executable.
>
> So I can't get into it via the local console or telnet (no
> FTP either, it's disabled...)
>
> Any suggestions?  I am guessing I need to boot from a
> floppy, and mount the file system, and copy the login
> executable back to the harddrive.

You could possibly use rsh (if you have a .rhosts file). I just tested
it on Solaris, and it doesn't use /bin/login when running a remote command,
so maybe Linux is similar.

Eg:

rsh hostname csh -i

It'll give you a prompt, but no tty, so you won't have access to full
screen editors or anything like that. But it might be enough to allow you
to su to root and copy back /bin/login (you may have to use something like
snarf or wget to fetch it from somewhere if it's not on the box already).

But a bootdisk is probably easier ;)

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse                                        paul@xenu.ee.mu.oz.au
"The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens to