List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: Programmed Bootp ROMs
From:       Keith Owens <kaos () ocs ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-07-30 21:42:24

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:35:05 -0400,
"Kevin K. Sochacki" <kksocha@erenj.com> wrote:
>My point was, as defined by the RFC 951.
>    "After this address and filename information is obtained, control
>passes
>    to the second phase of the bootstrap where a file transfer occurs."

Your original mail said

>> >Bootp (Internet Boot Protocol Server) can be used to give only IP
>> >addresses, gateway etc., but it also can be used to load a boot
which is not quite true.  The second phase is handled by another
protocol entirely, the file transfer is not handled by BOOTP at all.
You may have a combined BOOTP/TFTP server that assigns the IP address
using BOOTP then uses TFTP to load the boot image but they are still
separate protocols.