List:       linux-net
Subject:    Linux booting from the second hard disk
From:       jag () csrrltrd ! ren ! nic ! in
Date:       1997-03-31 5:46:12

Hi........!

	This is a booting problem. Since the linux-admin list is not there,
it comes here with hope that most of the admins do networking as well.

	I am in the process of upgrading my email server to Linux 1.2.13.
At present it is working under SYS V 3.2. For this upgradation I have
added an 1.2GB hardidsk to my system. So the current status is

Harddisk 1 : 270MB	: Partition 1 : 40 MB DOS
			: Partition 2 : 230MB Unix (SYS V)

Harddisk 2 : 1.2GB	: Partition 1 : 1.2 GB Linux 1.2.13

	Now I want both SYS V and Linux to be in bootable condtion for some
time. So how to boot Linux. The following are the options I have planned,

1. Load linux in the 2 hard disk and boot the dos from the first hard disk
	and then fire linux using loadlin. Mostly I shall add the necessary
	comments in the autoexec.bat of the DOS.

	But I am worried about the virus problems whgich can corrupt the
DOS and later the boot sector of the Hard disk.

2. Convert the DOS partition into Linux partition and install root in that.
	And the rest of the Linux in the second hard disk.

	I am not sure whether 40MB is good enough space for a Linux root
file system.

	I request you to send me the a copy of your comments, because I am
not receiving back anything from vger still now.

Waiting for your comments or advice.  Thanks

Jagannathan R.
JAGANNATHAN.R                     Email: jag@csrrltrd.ren.nic.in
Scientist & Sysadm                Phone: 0091 471 490674
Regional Research Laboratory      Fax  : 0091 471 490186, 491712
Trivandrum - 695 019              Telex: 0435 - 6232
Kerala, India                     Grams: CONSEARCH