List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: vortex driver seems to hang subsequent boot
From:       alan () lxorguk ! ukuu ! org ! uk (Alan Cox)
Date:       1996-12-30 2:33:04

> argument to the kernel at boot time.  Unfortunately, this did
> not help, but I am much happier ifconfig'ing down than doing
> a hard reboot.

It can be a problem. For ISA bus cards the main board often cannot yank the
bus reset lines to take the cards down. The latest 2.1.x kernels add
a notifier chain drivers can hook functions onto to be called at reboot
time. This is used to turn the WDT watchdog off so it won't fire by
mistake during a reboot. Its usable for other devices too.

Alan