List:       linux-net
Subject:    invisible directories under nfs
From:       "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb () dit ! upm ! es>
Date:       1996-09-28 22:45:31

(apologies if you see this twice - I have been fighting vger).

Hi - I have been having problems with *invisible* NFS directories using
libc 5.3.12 (kernel 2.0.0, ld.so 1.8.1 etc. etc.) . You know how it is,
you do a "mount -t nfs foo:/bar /gum", it lets you 'cos you set up
/etc/exports just fine, and you do a ls /gum and NOTHING. Nothing
except that ls goes into an internal loop o an inode that is the parent
of itself, according to strace. Then you do a "cat /gun/doo" because
you KNOW that doo exists, and lo 'n behold, out comes the file.

This was driving me crazy. First this showed up trying to mount linux
served nfs directories on a solaris 2.5 box. Then I found the linux
machines had the same problems with each other. Then I checked and a
single linux machine shows the same symptoms mounting its own
directories via nfs. I was using NIS, but I tried it without too. Same
results. Also tried it with the 1.2.13 kernel. Same thing. This was the
first time I had mounted linux directories rather than solaris/sunOS
dirs across nfs so I hadn't had a chance of seeing it before.

Then I dropped back to libc 5.0.9 and the problem went away. I had it
narrowed down to the rpc.nfs server anyway, just by logic. But
recompiling it didn't help. I have just upgraded to the 2.2beta21
net-server kit rpc.nfsd and that doesn't help either. Only the old
libraries help. I see a couple of compile warnings that might be related
to what is going on but I haven't tracked it down yet.

In the meantime .. I can't believe this is not known. Do I have to read
the libc release notes again or is somebody going to tell me :-)

--
Peter T. Breuer