List:       linux-net
Subject:    Problems accessing web site from one ISP.
From:       David Priebe <priebe () board1 ! renfrew ! edu ! on ! ca>
Date:       1996-09-26 10:38:38

Hello,

I am having a strange problem, and am looking for any suggestions anyone
may have.  I have forwarded this message to technical support at ISP1 with
no response yet.

I have having a problem accessing a site (valley1.valleynet.on.ca) when dialed
up through ISP1 using PPP.  This server (valley1) has received many hits from
all over the internet both http and telnet with no reported problems.
Also, I have no problems dialing up through ISP1 and connecting to any other
web site.

The problem is that I simply don't appear to get any data from the server.

Using Netscape through ISP1 I can get the first page at valley1.valleynet.on.ca
but that's it.  After that I cannot reload the first page or go to any other
link at the valleynet site.  On the server side of things, a netstat will show
the link in the FIN_WAIT1 state.  (I'm not sure why??)

Using Ewan telnet that comes with win95, I will be able to log in as guest to
valley1.valleynet.on.ca, but shortly after, the connection seems to hang??
However, if I use Ewan telnet to ISP1's server (BSD), then
go to the shell, and telnet from there to valley1.valleynet.on.ca, I have no
problems at all.     Strange...

A ping shows the response time around 500ms. from the Win95 machine to
valley1.valleynet.on.ca.  Not the best response time, but workable.

ValleyNet's server is at valley1.valleynet.on.ca, and is a Linux box
running kernel 2.0.10.  ISP1's server is running some variation of BSD,
and actually, the same version of NCSA's HTTPD.

It must be some incompatibility with IPS1's clients, and valleynet's server,
but I have no clue what it might be.

Do you have any ideas on what I should check?  or Do you know of any utilities
that might help be sort out this problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David
-----
  David Priebe,
System's Analyst, Renfrew County Board of Ed   -   priebe@renfrew.edu.on.ca
President, ValleyNET (Renfrew County) Inc.  "Renfrew County's Freenet!!"