List:       linux-net
Subject:    Problems with network
From:       root <root () linuxbox ! nse ! com ! au>
Date:       1996-04-29 5:34:36

Vittorio Margherita writes:
 > I've a problem...
 > I've two NE2000 card and, obviously two computer with LINUX installed on.
 > I've configured my Kernel to recognize this cards. Infact at boot time the
 > kernel recognize this card as eth0.
 > I've configured the file... rc.inet1, rc.inet2 and i have started the inetd
 > demon (I've configured them using "netconfig") when i boot up my two
 > computer it's all ok but the network does'nt works. I 've tried to use ping
 > but it works only in loopback mode. I'cant contact from a machine the other
 > one....
 > Someone help me please...

vittorio,

you don't mention what type of conenctors the ne2000 have.
I have 2 linux boxes networked with ne2000 cards with 10baseT lines, that is,
with RJ-45 connectors.  If this is the case, and you do not have a hub,
you will need to do some cross-over in the cables as such:

Say you grab the rj-45 connector and look at it as if you were
going to plug it in your mouth, with the little latch being
on the top.  Then the wires are labelled 1-8 from left to right.

Now, you can get some rj-45 2 rj-45 adaptors ... but these are
usually inverted so you'll have to open it up and cut all the wires
and make it a straight through ... Anyway, onther way is just cut the
cable so that you have 2 ends, which I'll refer to as A & B

This is the cross-over ...

	A	B

	1	3
	2	6
	3	1
	4	4
	5	5
	6	2
	7	7
	8	8

If you have ethernet instead I don't know what's the go.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

		Rob