List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: dip with dynamic ip's
From:       Curtis Hays <hays () satcom ! whit ! org>
Date:       1996-03-31 3:23:10

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996 ae4ej@ae4ej.ampr.org wrote:

> Hello To All,
> A friend of mine is trying to use dip to connect his linux box
> to the internet using dip and he has a dynamic ip address..
> Is there anyone with some good info on doing this? being as this is a dynamic
> ip address, what would you enter in the /etc/hosts file  for a local ip
> address???????  S.O.S.
> He's getting ready to hang himself...
> Thanks, Rich

Your friend? Can do one of two things, run dip manually:

dip -t -v
port cua1 'your modem port'
netmask 255.255.255.0
speed 38400
get $remote 205.220.110.1 'your gateway address'
term
atdt 5551212
login:yourusername
password:yourpassword
slip 'or whatever fires up the slip link from the prompt'
<CTRL> <]>
get $local 205.220.110.101 'your IP address'
mode cslip 'or slip if your ISP doesn't support cslip'

'you then will be back at your computers prompt, you may need to use the
route command to tell your computer that that IP is a gateway'
route add default gw 205.220.110.1

'make sure you have your host's IP setup as the default in /etc/hosts'
This works for me hopefully it will work for you too, you can take this
info and modify one of the many dip scripts on the net which will
automate this process...

Good Luck!

Curtis Hays
Sys Adm. Spider Communications