List:       linux-net
Subject:    connect: bad file number (termnet broken in recent kernels)
From:       "Peter Daum" <gator () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1996-03-29 17:08:17

Hi,

I allready posted this request to "comp.os.linux.networking",
unfortunately without any result. Maybe sombebody in this mailing
list knows, what's going on and can help...

I have been using Term (2.3.5) over a modem line for quite a
while as a network connection. Unfortunately, it seems that there
has been some incompatible change in the kernel code in version
1.3.61 that breaks most "termified" software. (It seems like this
isn't just a bug in the kernel - the problems persist with all
later kernel versions up to 1.3.77. The last version that still
works for me is 1.3.60)

I don't know enough about TCP/IP to track the problem down. Most
WWW-Browsers (different Versions of Moaic and Netscape,
arena-beta1e) report an error as soon as I try to access any
non-local link.

(Most specific is arena:
> message: System call `NETCLOSE' failed: Bad file number
> message: System call `connect' failed: Bad file number )

Chimera 1.65 and an older version of arena (0.97) still work.
Furthermore, all the "basic" things like ftp and telnet still
seem to work. The problem only occurs with term: I tried slirp
and ppp in the meantime without any problems. Anyway, I still
would prefer to keep on using term, since it seems like I'm
getting a much better performance.

Does anybody have any idea, what's going wrong and how to fix it?
Any help would be appreciated. (Please email, since I am not on this
list)

                    Peter

  | Peter Daum (gator@cs.tu-berlin.de)                (+49 30) |
  | http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~gator   _|||||_      691 46 35 |