List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re:  Problem with pop3 server (Version 1.005h)
From:       "dave" <dave () reflexds ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-03-31 11:40:58

>Recently I have installed Linux kernel 2.0.30(Slackware) which comes with
>pop3 server Version 1.005h.
>
>Most of my users using pop3 for checking mail. I have found a strange
>problem. Some user getting mail without any problems some are getting the
>error messages '-ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/USER_NAME'.
>

>Then I replaced the pop3 server 'in.pop3d' Version 1.005h with Version
>1.005c. Now its working fine.

The '-ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/USER_NAME' message usually
means the mailbox of USER_NAME is locked.

ie /var/tmp/.pop/USER_NAME exists.

When you connect to pop3 your mail off the server, mail is stored in this
temp/lock file. It may be 0 bytes, it may  be many more. Make sure there is
nothing in it  that you want and clear it down,

btw, the is a script called

                                rm_stale.sh

that comes with pop3, i use it from cron to clear the locks, it keeps a
record of whats removed in /var/adm/flush_pop

I thought at first this could be used for a DOS /var/tmp type attack, but
because the sym-link exists, popd will not allow you to connect anyway.

Without checking exactly, when you install pop3, the dir in question is
cleared.....so any locks are removed.....I think...go easy on me if this is
wrong....8)

ps. If this is not the correct solution, check the mailing-list arcives, the
same question came up a few weeks ago.

d.

Man walks into a bar and asks for a double entandre.
So the bar-maid gives him one.

-