List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    Re: ReRe: ... emulated CPU ... EGA
From:       Bart Oldeman <Bart.Oldeman () bristol ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-21 22:21:26

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Eric Auer wrote:

> I was talking about xdos for the graphics, lots of apps cause things like all
> 8 pixels are changed or only every 8th pixel is changed or pset works but
> erasing pixels does not as they try to use the virtual dosemu VGA in an
> EGA way. But a Dos box with graphics is something MS does not have at all,
> so xdos is pretty neat here!

I've co-written the planar modes support. It's still interesting to fix
the remaining bugs though... Could you send me an example application, or
ideally a small program with source? I need more technical details.

> I prefer running xdos non-suid as non-root user, so xdos is the dosemu I like
> best. I also have a suggestion on the DPMI / 4 GB issue: Why not tell the
> DPMI client it would have the flat seg it wants while actually only giving it
> 64 MB or something?

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the DPMI code.

> Most Dos apps are not aware of more RAM than the Bios/EMS/
> XMS tells them anyway - I think the limit was 65536 EMS pages or 65536 XMS kbytes
> or 65536 Bios kbytes or something (EMS 16k pages, not VCPI 4k pages of course).
> I know DosEmu has some very useful EMS/XMS/DPMI emulation stuff (DPMI seems
> to need root because it alters the actual LDT via the v86 kernel support!?),

DPMI does not need root. Many DPMI programs work perfectly well in a
non-suid root DOSEmu.

> but the FreeDos emm386 is intended for standalone (no DosEmu) use,
> because I want to use plain FreeDos for software that needs access to
> my real hardware in a way I would not dare to allow for Dos running
> as a Linux task. If the JIT emu (whats that?) allows full access to
> some simulated 386 that starts in simulated real mode, that would be
> all I need for now. Considering Bochs, is it free software?

JIT is Just In Time, like Java virtual machines do.
Yes, Bochs is LGPL'ed: see www.bochs.com.

> Last but not least some general problems: I could not subscribe to
> the list in the way described in the docs.

Thanks, the docs should be corrected then. www.dosemu.org is still fine?

[about freedos]
I'm happy to tell you that these things (except freecom using loads of
RAM) will be mostly sorted out when 1.0.2 comes out (should be this
month). Stay tuned...

Bart

-