List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    Re: I need the "emulated" CPU feature (and maybe EGA)
From:       Bart Oldeman <Bart.Oldeman () bristol ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-21 18:34:55

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Eric Auer wrote:

> as I am trying to write an emm386 for FreeDos with only few helpers (wanna
> join? Its written in nasm), I would need the emulated CPU so I can test
> protected mode stuff without having to reboot if something goes wrong. But
> it seems to be gone, which DosEmu versions still have it?

DosEmu 1.1.1 has the new dynamic translated (JIT) CPU-emulator from
Alberto Vignani. But you might also consider Bochs, since it's more
mature and I think more convenient for emm386 testing. Dosemu does far
more API emulation; for instance EMS and XMS and that is just standing in
your way when trying to write an emm386.

> I also noticed the graphics emu setting seems to be ignored: mda/hgc, vga and
> ega all lead to the same result, but at least the EGA support could be a lot
> better. By the way, I am planning to add some 80s high end graphics card to
> DosEmu, hints beyond the DANG would be nice. The card has 3 planes of graphics
> RAM and a separate textmode RAM which can be both used at the same time,
> resolution is 8 colors and similar to EGA.

Are you talking about the console or X here? This setting is about the
console. What kind of EGA support are you looking for? On the console,
dosemu is not emulating the graphics; it opens up ports, runs the BIOS
init, implements console registers and video memory save/restore and lets
DOS/programs do the rest.

Bart

-