List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    VCPI or DPMI
From:       Eduardo Costa <ecosta () tpk ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-03-18 9:51:22

I want to play my old (1996) classic game "Crusader: No Regret", but I
saw that neither PharLap nor VCPI work on DOSEMU (and it is crashing too
much on Windoze and on his cousin DOS - Denial Of Service).
I will give it up when you answer four things:

1. I found "This program requires VCPI or DPMI in V86 mode." when I call
"strings regret.exe". Is that meaning that Crusader can work without
VCPI ?

2. I got a "Fatal error 286.3330: Segment not present fault detected."
when I try to run. Is that meaning that DOSEMU doesn't emulate 286
segments (16 bit address - that's really old :) ) ?

3. Is there any chance to bypass the "Ring 0" problem ? (Like ...
emulating it ?)

4. Is there any chance to Bill Gates bankrupt before the release of
Windows XP (that will make 99,9999% of old games useless) ?

Thanks for your attention,
Eduardo Costa

PS: "Day of the Tentacle" works better in dosemu. I didn't tested sound
because the files of the game were corrupted.
PPS: I think there are some spelling errors on the message... Sorry
about that...
-