List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    Serial port woes
From:       Joel White <jwhite () OPAL ! TUFTS ! EDU>
Date:       2000-07-25 21:27:57

Hi,

(I've looked through the archives and have seen emails on this subject, but
still can't get it to work!)

I am trying to communicate with a remote system over the serial line.  Using:

$_com1 = "/dev/ttyS0"

enables the serial port to function, but not fast enough for the remote system
(needs 38,400).  So, I tried the "other" method mentioned in the docs and
various emails:

$_com1 = ""
$_irqpassing = "4"
$_ports = "device /dev/ttyS0 fast range 0x03F8 0x3FF"

With these settings, the serial port doesn't show up at all.  I've tried various
combinations of configurations with no luck (I'm sort of guessing at the $_ports
line).  I must be missing something - if anyone has any info/ideas/suggestions
that they could pass along, I'd appreciate it!

I am using version 1.0.1 (I've tried both the RPM and built from source).

Thanks,

Joel White