List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    Re: file sharing problem
From:       Matthew Nuzum <mnuzum () vacationinfl ! com>
Date:       2000-07-24 14:00:41

We have a 450MHz PIII and there is no performance problems until we get low on
RAM at about 54 sessions.  You should follow the instructions in the
documentation to tune the performance of DOS-EMU to your needs.

If you have all of your users playing Quake, I could see needing the 200MHz per
user, but if you're running typical business apps, then I'll bet you could do 32
users on a single 200MHz cpu.

One thing to take into consideration, I did make sure to get the best Network
card I could, and I got the best SCSI card supported by Linux at the time (DPT
Smart Raid V) and 10,000 RPM Hard drives.  If you're using IDE, or a generic/
low end NIC, you will **NOT** get optimal performance.

Try opening 32 sessions of EMACS, which I would say is MORE resource intensive
than the typical Dos Application.

Good luck!
Matt Nuzum

Oldrich Kepka wrote:

> [...]