List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    Re: bla
From:       "A.Vignani" <vignani () tin ! it>
Date:       1999-09-27 16:49:48

Justin Wheeler wrote:

> My apologies for bothering all of you .. but I have one simple question,
>
> First, before asking, I'd like to say VERY nice piece of software you
> have here ... a bit confusing at times, but it is amazing software.  My
> question is: I have an ATI 3D Rage II+DVD card, and I set the ati in
> the conf file and everything, but I want to be able to run the m64diag
> program that came with the card for diagnostics, and testing of the
> card,
> as no such programs exist for linux ... now, I realize that I could
> easily
> just boot to DOS, but I'd like to make use of your software...  when I
> attempt to run the program, I get the following:
>
> ERROR: general protection at 0x89ef: 66
> ERROR: SIGSEGV, protected insn...exiting!
>
> .... The software I am using is freely available in the file UTL-314.EXE
>
> which can be found on the www.atitech.ca webpage under support for
> the card mentioned above in DOS.  My apologies for taking up your time,
>
> Best regards,
> Justin Wheeler
> firehawk@home.com

Tried it on my Ati Rage Pro, with dosemu-0.99.13.
I don't see any SIGSEGV, but the program exits because it says it can't
find a Mach64 chip.
Looking into the debug logs I saw many accesses to high IO ports (in the ranges
0xe0e0..0xffe0); I tried to add some ports and once the program said Mach64 was
there but its aperture could not be initialized, etc.
It looks like there are a lot of 'exotic' IO addresses involved.
I suggest you to forget this diagnostic program. You would have to fiddle with
these very dangerous IO accesses and possibly crash the entire machine.

Alberto