List:       linux-msdos
Subject:    pseudo-tty access for unpriv'd user
From:       Charles Duffy <ccd () mailcall ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-03-17 23:46:54

Hi all,

I'm trying to run some DOS-based BBS software under DOSemu.
In my dosemu.conf, I specify a pseudo-tty to use as COM1, like:

$_com1 = "/dev/ptyp0"

And my linux-native front-end program talks to the BBS software running
under DOSemu
via /dev/ttyp0. All fine so far, but it only works when DOSemu is running
as root, even though I'm not accessing any real serial port hardware (at
least I don't think so...).
My pty isn't in use by anything else, and permissions are all fine.
When run as an unprivileged user, DOSemu starts up fine, but the BBS
software complains about not being able to access COM1. The problem
isn't particular to that piece of BBS software, either - same thing
happens trying to talk to TELIX or
any such serial comms program.

Is this normal? Or is there some way of getting it to work without
running as root? (or being suid-root).

I'm using DOSemu 1.2.2.0. My  kernel is 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.

Sorry if this question has been asked already - there have been  quite a
few posts about BBS software and serial port access, but none that I
could find addressed this particular issue.

Thanks,

--
Charles Duffy
Systems Administrator